Top 5 Causes of Premature Aging
Hi, Beautiful! Do you remember being a teenager and wanting so bad to look older? Crazy, right? Once we hit 30, most of us start trying to turn the clock back. We can't control the natural aging process, but there ARE things we can do to help our skin look younger. Here are the top five causes of premature aging:
- The sun. The latest research indicates that the sun is responsible for about 80 per cent of skin aging, including wrinkles, pigmentation, reduced skin elasticity and damage to skin texture. This is a serious reason to lather on the sunscreen! And, let's not forget opting for sunless spray tanning instead of baking in the sun to get that bronzy glow.
- Smoking. I really hope none of you are smoking. The damage from this horrible habit is not pretty. Smoking reduces blood flow to your skin, which stops it from getting the oxygen and nutrients, like Vitamin A, that it needs. Tobacco also has thousands of chemicals that damage collagen and elastin, which reduces your skin's strength and elasticity.
- Too many carbs. The sugars that are a byproduct of carbs break down collagen and elastin, which are what keeps your skin soft and supple.
- Not enough fruit & veggies. Fruits and veggies are a source of plant-based Omega 3s, antioxidants, and vitamins (especially Vitamins A, C and E) that directly benefit your skin.
- Genetics. This one we're stuck with, I'm afraid. However, you can help reverse some premature aging by working with a skin care professional.